We’ve been a part of the Carlsbad Community for over a year now, and we are loving it! Whether you want to spend the day at the beach, at a local café or at an amusement park, Carlsbad has something for every member of your family. When we first came to the area we took some time to explore, and now have ten awesome things for you and your family to enjoy – whether you’re new to the area or a designated local, you’ll enjoy all of these great places and activities during your time here. Read on for the top ten things to do in Carlsbad:
- Carlsbad Marathon/Half Marathon – Time to get those running shoes out! Once a year in early January, Carlsbad plays host to part one of the Triple Crown Marathon Series. Runners travel right on the coast and get to witness early morning ocean views; a spectacular sight. If running isn’t your thing, volunteer and hand out water, or draw up a sign of encouragement for the runners! You won’t want to miss over 10,000 people running through the shutdown streets of Carlsbad.
- LEGOLAND California – Almost every child wants to go to, and we don’t blame them. This park is filled to the brim with LEGO bricks of every color built into animals, characters and even boats! And did we mention the StarWars exhibit? An 8’x8’ Death Star made entirely of LEGO’s is sure to fill your kids with excitement. Everything is awesome at LEGOLAND California! If you’re out in the summertime, grab some park-hopper tickets and go to the LEGOLAND Water Park and SeaLife Aquarium, two must-sees of LEGOLAND California.
- Flower Fields – Once a year, the Carlsbad Flower Fields come alive with color and flair. Bright hues of orange, red, pink, yellow and green take hold of the hills and the sight is something to remember. Bring some food along for a picnic in the fields, and hop aboard a wagon ride to make the journey across all 50 acres easy!
- U-Pick Strawberries – Now in their third generation of farmers, the Carlsbad Strawberry Company have been farming strawberries since 1948 – before the Interstate 5 freeway was even built! The strawberries are juicy and delicious, and you can pick them yourself from 9am-6pm in the Spring and Summertime. Hurry down and get your hands on some of the freshest fruit in Carlsbad!
- Boardwalk – The Carlsbad Boardwalk is a visitor’s staple. From the local squirrels (that aren’t afraid of people!) to the resident walkers and runners, everyone enjoys their time at the boardwalk. The view itself is magnificent, especially at sunset, so this prime viewing location is not one to pass up. From high up on the clifftop to down in the sand, the boardwalk is a great place to get some exercise and some great ocean views.
- Carlsbad Lagoon – There is no shortage of activities at the Carlsbad Lagoon. If you’re feeling particularly adventurous, take a ride on a jet ski or rent a boat and go waterskiing. If you’re more inclined for a relaxing time on the lagoon, rent out a kayak or paddle board and go for a quick trip around the lagoon. If you’re looking for a workout, try your hand at Paddle Board Yoga with the Floating Yogis, who offer SUP Yoga classes for all levels of ability. No matter what water sport you want to try, the Carlsbad Lagoon has got it.
- Food – Carlsbad has some amazing local restaurants, bars and pubs that you need to give a try. Here’s a non-exhaustive list:
- Pizza Port
- 83 Degrees
- The Chocolate Bar
- Coyote Bar and Grill
- Dini’s By the Sea
- Board and Brew
- The Spa at La Costa – If you are in the mood to relax, The Spa at La Costa is where you need to find yourself. Leave your stress at the door and allow yourself to be treated by world class service from your head all the way down to your toes. Seriously, they have a salon, facial treatments, full body treatments and pedicures – they have it all! Take some time to treat yourself – whether you are on vacation or a local, you don’t want to miss out on the Spa at La Costa.
- The Carlsbad Village Faire – Twice a year, the streets of Carlsbad come to life with thousands of vendors, selling everything from handmade clothing to musical instruments to paintings and jewelry. There is something for everyone at this street faire, and people come from all over the country to see it. Get your craft beer fix at the beer garden, or get your dog a new homemade leash and matching collar! We’re not kidding, the possibilities are endless here.
- Carlsbad Village Athletic Club (CVAC) – The CVAC is a committed group of individuals who offer a variety of fitness options to the Carlsbad community. They have high energy beach volleyball games or soothing and relaxing yoga on the beach, all for a great low price. They also happen to have an ongoing partnership with California State Parks and a portion of the proceeds from all activities they offer go to support local State Parks. Why not support State Parks and get a great workout while you’re at it? Try yoga, fitness classes or volleyball on the beach on Saturdays, or try a sunset yoga class on the beach during the week – they offer a variety of classes fit for all levels, so give it a try the next time you’re in town.
Carlsbad is full of diverse and engaging activities and places; it was hard to keep the list to only ten! With all the options available to you, we know that you and your family will have a great time. Rest assured that if any dental issues or crises occur, Great Smiles is right around the corner and can offer you immediate help and/or can schedule you an appointment in the office. A cracked tooth or a loose filling is never fun, and we want to help make sure every moment you have here is memorable! Give our office a call if your children need any dental work done and we will do our best to make sure they keep on smiling. Have a great time visiting Carlsbad!